You love your dog.
Your dog loves…treats.
It’s a scientific fact! But too many treats can make your dog fat. Overweight dogs aren’t healthy dogs, and the best way you can love your pooch is to keep him fit, active, and content.
With that in mind, here are nine ways to show your dog you love him that aren’t food.
- Get off work early and take your pup on an extra-long walk. Quality time is the new jewelry, and dogs can’t get enough physical exercise!
- Read to your dog. No, seriously: Research says dogs’ brains light up when they hear our voices, so why not spend the evening reading your latest novel out loud?
- Have a puppy grooming party. Your dog loves (your) touch, so shower him with love with a thorough brushing and a fingertip massage. That’s heavy petting we can get behind!
- Bust out a new game that your dog will love. Base your choice of playtime activity around what your dog already likes, whether that’s a rousing game of fetch or chasing after squirrels.
- Head to a dog park, that is, if your dog likes dog parks! Give him time to romp and roll around with other friendly pooches while meeting and mingling a little yourself. (Hint: Dog parks are the modern equivalent of singles’ bars!)
- Scratch your dog’s back. Or his tummy. Or behind his ears. Wherever he likes to be scratched, give him a good tickling and don’t stop until he’s lulled into a blissful, loved-doggy coma.
- Snuggle up together on the couch. Particularly if your dog isn’t usually allowed on the couch or the bed, letting him cuddle up beside you just this once will feel like a really special treat.
- Bring home a new toy. Is your dog into squeakies? Stuffies? Indestructible rubber? Get him (or make him!) something he’ll cherish for months.
- Tell him what a good boy he is (yes he is!) Dogs love positive affirmation…approval from you is literally the best gift you can give him.
How can you show your dog you love him all year long? By making sure he stays healthy. In-home vet appointments are making that easier and more convenient than ever.
Make sure your dog is healthy
Pet news, updates, and special offers
from your friends at Vetted.